Welcome to the Structure and Function of Membrane Biology Laboratory at the Université Libre de Bruxelles !
The laboratory is dedicated to advancing to a better understanding of the structure, function, and role of biological membranes in cells and cellular organelles.
- We provide a multidisciplinary training and research environment including cell biology, physiology, biochemistry, proteomics, cell and molecular spectroscopy, biophysics and structural bioinformatics.
- As membrane components are the targets for most pharmaceutical compounds, our studies include hot topics such as cancer diagnostic and treatment, cholesterol and lipid transport, Alzheimer's disease, cell transfection, heavy metals detoxification.
- Our group has contributed to the development of methodologies that allow the investigation of the structure-activity relationship of membrane proteins at a molecular scale in a well-defined environment.
- One of our main purposes is to stimulate and coordinate high-level graduate education in membrane biology, and foster career development of membrane scientists in an environment of research excellence.
- The laboratory develops Basic and Applied Research projects.
- Our laboratory belongs to the "Structural Biology and Bioinformatics Centre" at the University of Brussels, and is member of the "Structure and Function of Biological Macromolecules, Bioinformatics, and Modelling" graduate college. · Our Laboratory is also part of several European "Early Stage Training (EST)" networks
- More details on our Research page